Le Châtel, which today stands in the poultry yard of the old castle mound, is made up of two buildings erected successively. Dating the beams by dendrochronology allowed the construction of the first building to be located around 1279-1283, and that of the second around 1325-1330.
The very form of this ensemble links it to the category of fortified houses. Indeed, if its situation is defensive because of the nature of the terrain and because of its general exterior appearance with few openings, it does not have the fortifications specific to fortified castles.
The interior fittings are those of a residential building, in particular in the large reception room, exceptionally preserved, where we find the imposing fireplace in place of heating, the sink used by the guests invited to sit at the lord’s table, the windows with cushions, whose benches occupying the width of the splayings made it possible to take advantage of the daylight, the latrines whose original wooden door is still in place, and finally the painted decoration whose extent and state of conservation make it an extremely rare testimony.